Saturday, 12 May 2007

David Williams

Ex-Bristol Rovers player, and player-manager David Williams has decided to retire from full-time working in football.

Williams (age 52) has quit his coaching job at Norwich City because “retirement is wasted on the elderly” - although he will continue his part-time coaching role with the Wales international set-up.

“It has always been my ambition to be free as young as I could be, and to do what I wanted to do,” said Williams. “The opportunity to retire and give that a go is now.

“I feel I am in a position to do that and the time is right - it's the end of the season.

“There is no hidden agenda, no secrets, it's just the way it has worked out.”

His role in the Wales set-up sees him looking after the Under-21, Under-19 and Under-17 teams under manager Bryan Flynn, and working alongside Alan Curtis.

“I still have that work with Wales to keep me involved in football,” he said. “But at the age I am, if I have made the wrong decision and I find myself frustrated, it is something I can come back into."

0 comments: